Thursday 3 November 2016

Busy Busy Convention Time! +1 Uniform & Bag Just For Me!

It's been a busy couple of weeks.

So, I posted a while ago that I got through parts for a new costume I was making; specifically a Star Trek TOS Spiral Skant Uniform.  Well, here are the results!


Why can't I get a good picture of my face AND full length costume!?

Considering it was my first attempt at sewing this costume, I was quite pleased with it.  It was also my first time wearing a lace fronted wig which was stuck down to my hairline with prosthetic glue!  Also, I actually remembered to take my communicator with me - check out my organisation skills.  The head band was a last minute addition, but I think it looks cute as hell, so I think it's going to remain a feature of this costume.

So, what do you think of 'Jamie T Kirk'?

The costume itself took about 2 weeks to construct it, off and on after work.  It wasn't the easiest pattern to construct, but it also isn't as hard as some commenters have implied.  The pattern I had was reproduced from a pattern that had been originally drafted in the 70s (so I gather), so the sizing was a little on the crazy small side.  It also had the most basic instructions, like... sixteen steps described in one line.  It took me at least an evening to truly understand just how the 'pleats' worked and I still don't think I've worked out why I needed to put such a long slash in for the zip - it makes no sense to me!

I did have to enlarge the pattern somewhat, I made the biggest size on the pattern originally, but found it to be far too small.  Note: there were no measurements to indicate what sizes the 'sizes' on the pattern actually meant.  I ended up adding two extra panels to the sides of the pattern, literally from the bottom of one arm right to the bottom hem in one piece.  Oh yes, the arms weren't actually sized up either, so even if the whole dress had fitted, my arms would have been ripping the seams She-Hulk style...


There is truly no way that pattern would have worked for me without significant adjustment - I could barely move my arms, and I hadn't even done the back up.  Luckily, I'm a passable seamstress provided I take it slowly and work it out in plenty of time.  Obviously my current uniform still has some problems, in places it is now too baggy, and the arm shape needs to be slightly different, but that will hopefully all be incorporated into 'Jane T Kirk MK II'.

I was tempted to buy the revised version of the pattern, but the sizing is still crazy in that one.  When I compared the sizes on the new pattern to my dismay I found that in the size I would be nearest to, the bust was two inches too big, the waist two inches too small and the hips were just right.  That was the biggest size too, so I decided stick with the pattern I had, since I knew where to adjust it.

I bought the insignia badge and the braid from Xscapes props, the badge has held up really well, even though it has been taken off the costume and then restitched because I needed to replace a damaged panel.  However the braid has been a little disappointing.  Mind you, I bet nobody would really notice it, I notice the problems with it because I worked with it close up, I don't think normal cameras would really pick up the problems I am seeing.  I think I'm going to try another supplier for the braid next time.

As you can see from the pictures, I can't complain about the badge, it held up really well.  The braid however has been a little problematic.  Even when I was first hand stitching it to the cuff the 'long stitch' sections were separting and pulling apart, which was disappointing.  Furthermore, because I was working on trying to save a damaged panel on the dress (now replaced)  I put it through the washing machine on a gentle wash, the braid didn't fair too well, but I think if there was just a little more tightness in the embroidery it would have been fine.  The dress in the middle is how it looks now after a wash and the replacement panel has been sewn in.  You can see that it's unlikely that the braid 'problems' will actually show up on camera.  It's entirely possible that I just had a bad length of braid too of course!  Perhaps my standards /  expectations are too high in this regard!  

I actually temporarily lost the pattern piece for the collar, improvised it myself AND THEN found the piece, still uncut in my discards pile!  My next version of this dress will actually have the correct collar on it!

Even though I am importing a different velour for my next version (replica fabric), I really like the velour I got from Germany and may buy some more so I can make another version of this colour.  By my eye from the show and screen shots, this colour is pretty good AND as you can probably see, it changes colour in different light and with different cameras.  It's also pretty nice to sew with being a light upholstery type fabric, and it falls and folds nicely.

So anyway, this is why there weren't any reviews for two weeks, I was making this Skant Uniform!

When I make my next one, I'm thinking of documenting the process and the alterations, but I'm not sure how interesting that really is!  I might be able to clarify some of the difficult bits of the costume which are somewhat unclear from the instructions - like the pleats, they seriously took me hours to work out.

The Convention
The convention itself was just one of the local ones to me, although one of the biggest for the area.  Cardiff Film and Comic Con runs twice yearly and really is less of a convention and more of a trade and autograph show.  Sometimes you get good actors, sometimes you don't, to date I have one autograph - from an original Ewok actor, Alan Bennet.  I really, really want to go to a proper Star Trek convention!  I'd like to go to the states some time and go to a big one there, but... the price of flights and stuff is pretty prohibitive for me.  ANYWAY back to the convention, we got there pretty late, because there had been an accident and the roads had clogged up so it was pretty quiet by the time we got there.  I managed to meet up with a few Trek fans there though, including the guys at USS Phoenix, a Star Trek fan group in Cardiff that I didn't know existed argh.  So I'm really, really looking forward to meeting up with them and sharing love of Trek with other people!  They seemed really nice and I managed to share intel with their chief medical officer about the Star Trek tablet bags available to buy on the dealer floor!  She bought a science one I think, while I bought a Command bag (naturally).  I am like, super pleased with it and it came with a little stylus too!  It is licensed goods and they are readily available online.  I was surprised at the price though, which was like.... £15, I was totally prepared to pay more like £20 - £25, but I'm not complaining!  I'm probably not going to another convention for a little while, but I'll be working on costumes at a slower pace.  Jamie T Kirk Mk II is going to be perfect!

EDIT:  I originally called the costume 'Jane T Kirk' - but it occurred to me that makes absolutely no sense, despite the fact that I took the name from the female comic iteration.  Lieutenant Commander Finney called his daughter 'Jamie' after 'James T Kirk'... so I think, although 'Jamie' is less punchy than 'Jane', she'll be 'Jamie' from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment