Tuesday 4 October 2016

Star Trek - Costume Parts - Postal Jackpot!

Firstly, sorry this isn't another review, but today was a postal jack pot day!

Well, ok ANOTHER postal jackpot day!  Since I had a shipment of sixty books from America last week - I bought a job lot of sixty books just for the chance that I would get one rare book out of them, and I won the gamble!  Oh yes!

Anyway, today's postal jackpot was, firstly a package from xscapesprops which contained a Star Trek Women's Uniform pattern, an Enterprise insignia patch, and lengths of captain's braid!  I only ordered it 9 days ago, so I was super surprised and super pleased that it came so fast!


Honestly, so pleased!  The shipping was really reasonable too!  There were other sellers trying to charge me the cost of the braid again to ship it to the UK, but I got these items for a very humble shipping fee.  Hooray!

What is the good of these items if I don't have any fabric?  Well I do!  Imported from Germany I have some imitation velour fabric in.... Command Gold! 


Well it certainly acts like the velour in the series, it looks completely different in different light, but it doesn't turn into a completely different colour like the command tunics in the original series.  Did you know that Kirk's gold tunic is actually green in real life but the combination of the studio lights and the camera mean that that fabric shows as gold?  Its the same colour as his green tunic!  My mind was actually blown when I found that out!  Later on they actually make it canon that the tunics are gold.  That being said, if you have the first edition technical manual (like I do) you'll notice that the colour they list in there is a completely different colour again.  There is one page in the technical manual which is colour printed and all the pages with coloured designs refer back to that page.  The command yellow or '13 - Tenne' which is indicated for the command tunics is printed as a very strange colour, very dark and orange.  I was going to use the technical manual for colour guidance, but the colours listed are quite 'off' at times.  There's probably been updates since the 1975 manual but... where's the fun in making it easy for myself!
I took a picture of the colour swatch and then tried to match the colour on the screen to the colour in the book, by my eyes and my monitor settings, this is the colour that is listed for the colour of command tunics.  It is quite dark and quite orange.  More the upper left of the swatch than the right.

I also got a pair of boots through the post today 'vintage' they claimed, but I'm not so sure.  Either way they are very nice quality, however, they are too long for the costume... the technical manual lists 34.3cm as the length for both men's and women's boots.  Unfortunately these come up to the knee, I was going to adjust them but they are really far too nice to cut!  So I need to find another pair.  If push comes to shove though, I will use them for the convention this month.

I need only a couple of parts for the costume now really (aside from my own labour).  A pair of tights/leggings and a beautiful blonde wig!

If it wasn't obvious enough, I'm going to be in costume as a female Captain Kirk!  I hope to be meeting up with a female Spock too!  Unfortunately I haven't been able to convince a friend to be female McCoy - it could be quite a combination!

I also thought I'd kinda be in character:

'So... I heard that men are from Mars and women are from Venus... but I think that you, you must be from Orion...'

HA.  Think that's a good enough pick up line?  ((It's terrible I know)).

No comments:

Post a Comment